Monday, March 12, 2007

American Idol 6: Top 16

Hmm.. I wasn't happy last saturday when watching American Idol top 16. I mean, I had this bad day at the choir rehearsal at the afternoon. Though previously on the same afternoon, I had one of the best moment in my life :D

So, the show started with the guys..

Blake Lewis, great. He again did some beatboxing. I liked it. He's one of few contestants who gave a full performance. I mean, not only singing. Though I wonder, what if he didn't do the beatboxing for the next performance (Surely he will make it to top 12).

Sanjaya.. uhm.. Despite all the criticism he got, I think his voice is likable, though powerless I would say. His performance of “Waiting On The World To Change” was so so. Nothing special so that people would remember him (Maybe the hula thing? I don't know. His dancing reminded me of Charles, a friend of mine though.. Hi Charles :D). Cute guy for teenager? I don't think so. Ask those America teenagers.

Sundance Head with "Jeremy". Don't know the song and he's terrible. Pitchy all the way to the end of the song, I barely caught what the melody should be. Bad day for him I guess.. Since he delivered a great performance the week before.

Chris Richardson sang "Tonight I Wanna Cry". He's as good as before. And indeed he sounded like Justin Timberlake, K'Bie You're right on that! :D He deserved a spot in the top twelve.

Jared Cotter with "If You Really Love Me". When and where have I heard this song, I wonder. I like it when he sing the high-range of the song. But the reffrain a.k.a the most important part of the song was in low range (The "If you really love me.." part). It didn't came out as good performance because of that.

Brandon Rogers sang "I Just Want To Celebrate". His stage act attracted me. It seemed like he's enjoying it. His voice was okay too. The song was okay. So, everything was okay. As in nothing much to say about. I didn't get any great performance from him so far. Uhm, maybe on his top 20 show, I didn't watch it though. So I'll wait for Joey to offer me the record :D

Whoaaa.. Ryan said that someone would sing "I Need You". I have no idea that Phil Stacey would do that. I really love LeAnn Rimes singing the song. And it was terrible to hear Phil singing the song the way he did that night.. sigh. He hit the high note of "rain" and "gate" of the reffrain by screaming. It's not impressive.. At all. Though his falsetto on some parts(or was it "one part"? The "I need youuuuuuu...") was good enough. Should gave him some points for daring singing the song that is not his style anyway. What style is his? I think Chris Daughtry's style as he performed lately, but still not as good.

Chris Sligh wanted to be loved with "Just Wanna Be Loved". Good voice I think. Alas I can't recall his performance other than the moment he asked for Ryan's hug.

Result: Jared and Sundance was eliminated. Based on performance, I do not really care about the guys other than Chris Richardson and Blake. Jared, well I'd like him to perform more actually, because I like the type of his voice. Sundance, I also wanted him to stay since he was great the other week and he had a different singing style contrast to the great-girls'.

Still hoping on Sanjaya to surprise me. If he doesn't, he will be like Kellie Pickler to me on the previous season.

The show with the girls performing...

Jordin Sparks sang "Heartbreaker". At first I was hoping for Mariah Carey's, hehehe.. Wow, Jordin.. You're also good in rocking. Yes, it's not always on the right pitch, but really interesting to see you do different style. After "Reflection" that you did earlier. At first I categorized her with the kind of Lakisha, Melinda, Stephanie, and Sabrina. The weakest, along with Sabrina, compared to Lakisha, Melinda, and Stephanie. But she's now somewhat different and interesting.

Sabrina Sloane's "Don’t Let Go" turned out to be just the same thing she did previously. A song fitted her style, with a festive ending (by that I mean an increasingly high-long notes). But that's it, same thing. Still good for me though.

Antonella Barba with "Put Your Records On". Still not good. Her voice on high note is unique though. But her whole performance was.. yeahh.. Will be happy if she's out.

Haley Scarnato sang "If My Heart Had Wings". Not great. I forget how she sang it. Obviously a worse perfomance than the one she did previously.

Stephanie Edwards.. Ahh, my sweetheart.. Your "Sweet Thing" was not a good one for me. Your voice is obviously a great one. Love your timbre, love your technique, but your performance wasn't good enough for me. I didn't get what you're singing. There's an awkward moment in your song, the feel that you didn't do it right. I felt sorry for you that night. Hwaaa.. I read that Stephanie got low votes on some polls on the internet . I hope it's not happening in the real AI vote :-ss I'd like her to be in the top 5 :D

Lakisha Jones sang "I Have Nothing". Heard this song many times and watched different singer performed it. And Lakisha's was not a special one. No surprising aspect. Very usual and came out as expected. Still good voice though, and beautifully delivered the "If I don't have youuu.." part.

Gina Glocksen sang "Call Me When You’re Sober". Ever heard the title but never heard the song :p Wow, She's great that night. Not always on the right pitch but very energetic and lively. She obviously is on a different singing style of the other girls (Jordin just showed that she could do this style too though :D). Glad to saw her that night.

Melinda Doolittle declared "I’m A Woman" and she really is a sweet woman. Not her best, vocally.. but surely one of her best performically (D'oh, I'm making up words :p). She really entertained me as a performer. She started to have a plus compared to Lakisha for me. And watching her expression while singing and while facing the judges is a fun thing too :D

Result: Antonella and Sabrina out. No wonder about Antonella. Sad for Sabrina. But if I had to remove one singer out of the five-similar-style-singers (Lakisha, Melinda, Stephanie, Jordin, Sabrina), I would indeed pick Sabrina.

And for the top 16 AI show, I watched it at a friend's house. I was having a sleep over at a Toghie's house because B'Re came from Bekasi and Fery would be leaving for Jakarta soon. So, we gathered at Toghie's house. It's fun to watched AI with friends :D You could always make fun of a contestant together or have a fight(read: argumentation) over contestants' performance :D

6 comments:

Bie said...

'Jared Cotter with "If You Really Love Me". When and where have I heard this song, I wonder.'

Click here!

Fair to say that perhaps the theme of Idol 6 is that dude's reincarnation.

Bie said...

I just realized.. Is your sentence supposed to be a pun?

If so, you got me..

Credo said...

Haaa.. Elliot Yamin! How could I forget it..
Thanks K'Bie :D

Btw, there's no pun intended. What pun actually? I don't get it.

Bie said...

You know ... You wrote, "When and where have I heard this song, I WONDER." You know, Wonder ... as in the original singer..

Credo said...

Ahahaha.. Didn't think that far. Still, no pun intended actually :D

Anonymous said...

Anda rajin juga ya ngikutin nya, gw yg di Amrik aja kagak ngikutin rutin hehe