Wednesday, November 14, 2007

I Can't Make You Love Me

I stumbled upon a video in YouTube of someone doing an audition for Idol somewhere (Haha, I didn't pay attention).. But the melody caught me.. I wonder where I had ever heard the song. Consult Google as usual for the title "I Can't Make You Love Me" (I did remember the title).

It was written by Mike Reid and Allen Shamblin and first recorded by Bonnie Raitt. Taken from Wikipedia:
The idea for the song came to Reid when upon reading an article about a man arrested for getting drunk and shooting at his girlfriend's car. The judge asked him if he had learned anything, to which he replied, "I learned, Your Honor, that you can't make a woman love you if she don't."

And then at the end of the article, "Ah ya.. How could I forget my lovely Haley Scarnato.." It's the song for her American Idol audition. I'm quite surprised that her singing actually is hanging in my memory.. That means she's good despite some of her bad performances, ahahaha..


I Can't Make You Love Me

Turn down the lights, turn down the bed
Turn down these voices inside my head
Lay down with me, tell me no lies
Just hold me close, don't patronize
Don't patronize me

'Cause I can't make you love me If you don't
You can't make your heart feel something it won't
Here in the dark in these final hours
I will lay down my heart, and I'll feel the power
But you won't, no you won't
And I can't make you love me
If you don't

I'll close my eyes and then I won't see
The love you do not feel, when you're holding me
Morning will come, and I'll do what's right
Just give me till then, to give up this fight
And I will give up this fight

And I can't make you love me if you don't
You can't make your heart feel something it won't
And here in the dark in these final hours
I will lay down my heart and I'll feel the power
But you won't, no, you won't
And I can't make you love me
If you don't

Ain't no use in you trying
It's no good for me baby without love
All my tears, all these years, everything I believed in
Baby
Oh yeah
Someone's gonna love me

5 comments:

Bie said...

[sotoy Idol mode on]

Carrie auditioned singing this song too. And in her season the song was sung at least two more times: by Joseph Murena/o and Constantine Maroulis.

Credo said...

Yeap.. I know Carrie auditioned with the same song. But the one that I vaguely remembered was Haley, not Carrie. I just know Carrie sang it today while searching :)

Bie said...

Yeah, so by the time pre-with-all-those-legs Haley sang it, I was like, *yawn*.

Anonymous said...

what a sad song... tp sbnrnya lagu itu optimis loh :)

Credo said...

Ehehe, actually yes Ranidz..
Bisa dipandang dengan cara itu juga sih :)